Monday, October 11, 2010

THAT'S A WRAP!

If any of you are unaware of this fact, this little blog of mine was actually created for an assignment in my journalism course. I can honestly say I was stoked to hear that we would be required to write a blog with a minimum of ten posts...I thought to myself "I've been wanting to do that anyway!" Reviewing movies was an easy choice for me, as I see so many and like writing, it's something I'm really passionate about. People can think whatever they like about that; that I'm a loser, that I need to get out more, get a life and stop living vicariously through my favourite characters, actors and stories. Well to them I say...well. I probably shouldn't say it on here. But you get the gist. I can't really explain my love for film...it just is. It's definitely crossed my mind that I should have tried to get into it. Sometimes I think, man, if only I had been into doing plays and musicals when I was a kid, then I could have been discovered and made into a star. But when I really contemplate that idea, it sort of freaks me out. It's not a life I would choose for myself, not at that age anyway. If I were to be discovered tomorrow however...just kidding. I'm not that much of a dreamer.

In all honesty, I'm content to watch from afar. That's what movies are all about after all. They're an experience, a ride that you go on for a couple of hours. They transport you to different places, make you feel different things, inspire you, scare you, thrill you, make you laugh, make you cry. Some are good, some are bad. But they're all art. Without movies, there would be a creative void in our lives. I truly believe that the service provided by actors, directors, writers, producers and all the other people who contribute to create films is an irreplacable one. Those that are great at it receive awards for their efforts, and so they should. We all like to believe they have it easy, but think about it. Really think about what they have to do, the responsibilities they have. It's not an easy job. They work their asses off for as much as 18 hours a day, every day. On top of that they're supposed to promote stuff, attend events, fulfill their various duties AND they're meant to look good while they do it. Think about how you feel after a measly 8 hour day at work and you're supposed to be a certain place at a certain time. Sometimes you just make an excuse to get out of it because you're too tired. Well, imagine how these people feel. They can't exactly back out of something that may be in a written contract. It's amazing they don't all collapse from exhaustion in front of the cameras. When exactly are they supposed to have their own lives? We take the free time we have for granted, and then complain about not having enough. Try being an actor, then you'll have something to complain about.


The men and women in these professions all have my utmost admiration and respect. I sit in awe of the talent they display. I know a lot of people out there don't think much of James Cameron. They think he's up himself, over-the-top, doesn't deserve all the attention he got for Avatar etc. Those people are ignorant and petty. That man single-handedly brought people back to the movies, and he deserves to be recognised for that. If idolising these people the way I do makes me a loser, then I guess I'm a loser. I love movies, I'm not going to pretend that they don't make me happy. I have no problem watching movies over and over. Some call that living in a fantasy, I call it appreciating beautiful pieces of art.

I'm never going to stop watching movies, so there's no reason why I wouldn't continue to write this blog. If you like what I write, please keep reading! If not, that's cool. Writing is all about personal expression for me, and I would do it with or without an audience. So, until next time...I'm sure it won't be long, there's a lot of great movies coming out soon...;)

3 comments:

  1. keep up the good work, this is a great blog! i'll keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a wonderful writer! i've enjoyed this blog so much.

    ReplyDelete